Thursday 1 April 2010

In the Beginning

In the Beginning



As those who have been following this blog know I have a real love of abstract art. I wonder if this is because it gives me the freedom to let go and experiment and allow my emotions full vent of feeling. You also know that my first real adventure into the world of abstract was a triptych on beginnings and creation (discussed last week). This venture gave me the courage to go big and produce. “Alpha Omega,” a large explosive burst of colour. This one and another were purchased by a lovely family in the USA. Since then the adventure has gone on and I have tried all sorts of things.


This enforced time of not painting has given me much time to reflect and wonder. Some have sold some I still have. Some I have painted over and one large canvas gave me much fun. An abstract that had not sold though a good few people had told me they liked it, having viewed it on my website. I was in that kind of state of not knowing. So I painted over the signature and placed out to be collected by the rubbish collectors. It never ever reached the back of the bin lorry. Somebody removed before they came. Now I wonder? Did they hang it? Did they have a use for the canvas? Or did they paint over it? Whatever I hope it brought some joy.

The painting above falls into the same category. I do not know what to do with it. It has hung on my wall forlornly for over a year now and it is only now starting to get into my inner me. Something has to be done with it.

Now I have met some really lovely people since I took up blogging and some good advice has come my way from fellow bloggers. So here we go. All recommendations please about the abstract work on this blog. A for the Bin, B for use the canvas for something better, C for think a bit longer. Honest responses only please.

Right as I said on my other blog I have my trainers and running gear on and am heading for that ten mile run. Have a day of surprises and remind me again what day is this, apart from Maundy Thursday.

I have another blog where I have my daily musing and thoughts and use my art from time to time as a prompt for thought. It can be seen at:- Age Matters Not

8 comments:

  1. I forgot the time difference and published this blog five minutes early so the date above should read April 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My question is....where is the painting hanging? Is it hung where others can see it or is it hung in your studio?

    I like it....I do find the pale, pale green around the little squirrly things to be a bit insipid....and sort of confining. Does that make sense? I don't know, I can't paint abstract; just an observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't give input, Ralph, alas. Hope you are feeling better!! (And I can't give input because I've never been much of a fan of abstract art so don't feel qualified to make any kind of judgment.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ralph,
    Wow - if you're doing a run you must have healed. Glad you're better! As for the painting, what about flipping it on its side? I sent the image to your email account to show you. I kind of like it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No I am not better in fact I am feling worse today and had to call the doc for further help. The bit about running was an april fool so guess you kind of got caught there KIm so sorry. Guess it was not a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doh! I haven't had my morning coffee yet : ) Good one. I thought it was a pretty remarkable recovery! lol. Anyhow - take the hot baths/the icing/the anti-inflammatory pills...whatever you need to do to get back to feeling good : ) Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ralph - Sorry you are feeling worse. Hope you improve as the day progresses! Did you try Kim's suggestion? That might just be what you need to get a different perspective on it. I have no training in abstract so I'm afraid I can't be of any help. However, I do like abstracts, but I prefer a more simple painting. Feel better SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ralph, Thank you for stopping by my blog. I am so sorry your not feeling well and in a great deal of pain. But please know this, Ralph this painting is great. I don't know about abstract, but I do love color, design that intrigues, tones that mesmerize and above all very pleasing to the eye. This one is a keeper, please don't put it out in the trash. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete