Saturday 8 May 2010

Betsie

Betsie


Today in my blog I spoke of my dog Damon, I know I have shown you a sketch of him before, so today I show you Betsie. One of my friend’s wife was very ill in hospital. I went with him one day to visit her. She was very ill indeed and was finding it difficult. During the conversation she spoke more than once about her dog and how she was missing her.


How I would have loved to have broken all the rules of the hospital and sneaked her in to visit. It was just not possible. So after the visit I went to his home and did this very quick pastel drawing of Betsie. My friend took it up to the hospital later and blue tacked it to the wall where she could see it. It hung there till sadly she died.

I hope it brought her comfort. There does seem to be something between people and animals that can speak and say the words that we want to say but can never quite find.

I know that my friend took the drawing home and that he still has it in his possession, so maybe it is a small part of the cherished memories he has of her.



This blog is linked to my other blog:- The Wondrous Moment

8 comments:

  1. Our animals give so much love.
    My daughter's dog has always 'talked' to me, we've been great pals, walking, chasing balls and sticks. Now she takes the ball to the middle of the lawn and can get no further; stairs are now painful for her.
    Now is my time to return her love. She now simply talks low and puts her nose on my lap and looks with those big brown eyes. I love and cuddle her and tell her "I know" and she sighs and cuddles closer. She'll soon be gone an so will a part of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lieber Ralph,

    Das war Eine tolle Freundschaftsgeste von dir, IGV ihren Hund zu malen, DAMIT SIE IHN Immer bei Sich Hut ...
    Es ist schön, ja, der Mann WIRD Daran Erinnern, Wie sehr Seine Frau ein Bild hing Standards eingehalten sind ...

    R. EINEN Feinen Sonntag, herzlich Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice thing you did! I'll bet that portrait gave your friend great comfort. Dogs are amazing, aren't they? I think it's the unconditional love that they show for us. (And for me, it's the fact that my dogs can't talk. They just agree with everything I do and say. They're my ideal companions.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Ralph...a said story. Still, I do hope that your friend's wife relished this painting of her dear Betsie. It had to bring her some measure of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful portrait Ralph .... you've captured Betsie's loyalty in her eyes. I'm sure the painting would have given much grace and comfort for your friend to face the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure this portrait of Betsie gave your friend's wife comfort and joy on her last days and now your friend shares in that comfort and joy in his memories of her. What a nice gift given at a perfect time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful portrait. Ralph you are a truly kind person. I am sure the portrait of Betsie gave your friends wife great joy in her last moments. God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anything given from the heart will make an impact, but this was an especially lovely and loving gesture. I'm sure it meant more to both of them than you will ever know.

    Cia

    ReplyDelete