Tuesday 22 June 2010

Arran Summer

Arran Summer




I chose to add this painting to my other blog this morning because it fitted well with the story I was telling. I have always been a person who put my whole being into everything I have every done. If I do something I want to do it to the very best of my ability. It is not enough to be good at something I have always to be very good at it.

Now I can hear you say that there is nothing wrong with that. You may be right but for some of us we have to beware of this tendency and always acknowledge its presence.

When I was a minister in my first charge I would never take holidays. If I was off for a weekend I would let everybody in the parish know where I was so that if they wanted me I could be contacted, and often was.

When I took up running I was running miles every day and marathons most weekends. Obsessive behaviour.

A friend once invited me to this island, Arran in Scotland, for a few days with his family. I remember him one day saying to me that I needed to give thought to myself and my family. It did not change my life over night but it made me think. I have got better over the years. When I retired I promised my family that I would at last relax.

Then I found painting. As I said I am about to go on holiday for a break and it is a good time to take stock so my thoughts took me back to Arran.



This painting sold very quickly and the person who bought it went on to buy another.



This blog is linked to my other  No Sales

4 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised that this painting was snapped up quickly...... it is very beautiful - with a lot of feeling, that comes across immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly a lovely scene, Ralph. I really like when you work in watercolors and I love when you do beach scenes. They are always just so filled with peace and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings friend.
    I enjoy hearing bits of your life. This reminds me of the ocean life, that is having such a tramatic issue right now. The values in your mountians are excellent.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This painting is just lovely, Ralph - so inviting. I found your post very interesting, as well.

    ReplyDelete