Wednesday 23 June 2010

The Tempest

The Tempest




The trouble with me is when I find a new way of creating I tend to stick with it for a time. I have promised myself that this time I will develop this method of work further than I have in the past. We will wait and see if that is true. So yesterday I stuck with the limited palette I have of these new fluid colours I have been trying.



I have limited time to paint while on vacation, it is after all much more important that my wife enjoys this time away from work than me. But I have this idea of at least producing one triptych using this style of creating and this palette of colours. I hope to take it just a bit further and maybe a brighter topic.



The first and smaller of these paintings I showed you last week. The 1812 Overture. This is a larger one based on the first line of Shakespeare play The Tempest where he speaks of the storm and the thunder.



It is darker than the first, not by real intend, but because of mood, I think.



I always like to discuss finished work with a few friends and the general feeling was that they were both interesting. Some liked one some another. The bottom line I feel is they hoped I liked them both because I will probably have to live with them for a while.



So here then is the second of my adventure with this new paint and method. Painted using tinfoil, modelling paste and tissue and fluid acrylic colour.

On reflection and looking at it again I think this could also be viewed this way. What is your opinion? It might then need a new name?





This blog is linked to my other. There is Alaways Time for the Important Things in Life

5 comments:

  1. it is very intresting... the tecnic you used too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ralph!
    Je ne suis toujours pas rentrée chez moi... Après mon agréable séjour chez Susan, je poursuis mon périple en Normandie puis en Bretagne... MAGNIFIQUE !! Je rentre la semaine prochaine et reviendrai régulièrement visiter votre blog... En attendant ce que je vois aujourd'hui me plaît. Belles couleurs... Amitiés

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot tell you why, Ralph, but I like the painting oriented as in the second photo for some reason. I almost see sealife below the surface of this red water...See? I can see some things in abstract art pieces! I call that progress!! Gorgeous gorgeous palette here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them both- but the second orientation appeals to me more. I so admire your ability to grow and experiment. I think an artist who does both realistic and abstract work is very special indeed- I'm in admiration of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this new medium. I could see lots of people snapping those up and hanging them in their living rooms! You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete