Thursday 17 June 2010

The Positive Man

The Positive Man


Before I say a single word about this let me say to the person I tried to depict I am very sorry. I will make another attempt to get it right. I am sure I have aged the person and not at all done justice to him. My only excuse is that I was trying so hard to depict the inner being that I got the outer wrong. I do not think I will put this in the bin as yet because I kind of like the character I have ended up with. He does look like a very friendly guy and he does make me smile.

I have learned a great deal from this one. I have learned that to make a good representation of a person it is important to catch the main aspects of the persons face before concentrating on the inner quality. I have also learned that painting a person from afar is not easy.

I will try again with this one. Maybe not today, but I will make another attempt. In the meantime with apologies to him I show it and the efforts of yesterday.

Painted on black paper using a white pastel.

If you are interested in seeing the type of character I was trying to capture go to my other blog and read there.

This blog is linked to my other. Making The Best Of What We have

5 comments:

  1. He reminds me of someone on Australian TV.
    The character in him looks very friendly - as if he's about to tell a wicked story ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Ralph. I don't know what the man looks like in reality, but this sure seems a great depiction. I think this is my favorite of all the portraits I've seen you share since I found your blog. You've captured spirit and character and the aspects of the face look absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your other blog- you are an inspiration my friend. And you captured your soul just right. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do so love this one and the countenance you have captured. It does indeed make one smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this isn't Jerry, it should be!

    ReplyDelete