Monday 6 September 2010

1812


1812


I have used this painting again today even though I had it on here not so long ago. On my other blog I have been talking about change for the last two days. Today I was linking change with the fear of failure. Rightly or wrongly I think they are connected.

While writing this morning I was very aware that I have painted very little for the last few weeks. That in fact I have stepped back from doing anything with paint. I have made all sorts of excuses the biggest one that I need to get back to my fitness level and lose the extra weight I had put on. Both are fact but both are also, I now realise smokescreens.

I took a step with painting where I got ambitious, maybe even over confident. I produced this painting and one or two others in a similar way. I really liked them.

The trouble is; nobody else seems to. They are taking up hanging space and not selling. I have been afraid to admit failure and learn.

I painted this using all sorts of different methods of using texture. It did not work.

Maybe it is time to think again and get back to just paint.

Time for change. Once I get one or two other things sorted I will take the plunge.

This blog is linked to my other. The First Step

10 comments:

  1. Nice imaginery to me; but does selling mean, the painting is alright??? Better paint a new one; because sometimes such *failures* are not the worst once... It needs a good eye for the phantastic poetical (in)sight, I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think, Ralph, that maybe you worry too much over what others think. I think art comes from within and speaks to our own emotions and thoughts. Pieces born this way need only to appeal to ourselves, I think. Of course, if your goal is to sell your work, then I'm probably way off base here and you need to paint to appeal to your market. Sigh...what do I know? I don't sell and am too chicken to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Autumn. You created this piece because it spoke to you... It doesn't have to say anything to anybody else to be considered a valid work of art. I think it's really creative and fascinating, the way the different colors and shapes almost make something tangible, but not quite... Like a boiling, simmering brew that is about to come to life... It's a very exciting, ethereal piece, me thinks... But that is just my perception...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Ralph! We are going to gang up on you this morning! If you want to sell more you could try painting furniture! I think artists are constantly introducing something new: some of it works and some of it doesn't. Even Michael Jorden has missed more baskets than he has made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HUH so it seems. Thanks anyway Jerry and the rest of you for the comments they do get listened to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ralph, because a painting doesn't sell it doesn't mean it is a poor work. Sometimes the painting in question just needs to be exposed to a new market. I like this work anyway so I don't know why you have judged it so strictly! Keep painting according to your own visions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've noticed that sales run in streaks. I'll sell several in one month and then go many months with no sales.

    I work in a busy mall in a print store. For a while we sold landscapes and not much else. Suddenly it changed and everyone wanted abstracts that were on the dark side. This trend is slowing down and people are turning back to the flowers and landscapes again. During all this, Wildlife prints have kept up a slow steady pace.

    I think some people are always looking for that something special that's different, but the majority will stay with the traditional scenes. All that said; I think it's good to try new techniques and styles so you have that something special when you meet that particular buyer. Only the brave try new things...... hey that's you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ralph, after reading your post and the comments, I agree , you worry too much what others think or want... If this is what you liked to paint at the time.... thats fine with us.!!! Personally though I love your watercolor work. But thats just my other passion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ralph, bonjour! Il ne faut pas vous torturez ainsi ! Tu parles! je fais un peu la même chose ces jours derniers... mais en fait ce n'est pas la peinture le réel problème, ni les non ventes... Il y a certainement quelque chose qui vous tracasse et peut-être une remise en question... lorsque tout se calmera en vous tout redeviendra à la normale... patience, faite le vide en vous... ou autour de vous... Bisous
    J'aime votre peinture et la puissance qui en jaillit...

    ReplyDelete