Wednesday 16 February 2011

Winter Is Not The End



Winter Is Not The End

My challenge was to complete the series of four paintings on the theme, Vivaldi, The Four Seasons.

I knew exactly the colours I wanted to use, almost all primary colours.  I had an idea of what the end painting should look like so that it complemented the other three.

The trouble was, faced with the blank canvas, I could not get this painting out of my head. It has all the colours I wanted to use but I am not at all sure that it fits with the other three.

It is though an abstract painting, and it speaks to me, though I am not sure just what it is saying. It is not shouting, “just throw me in the bin.” I did have my doubts, that that was in fact where it would end up though.

I had left it on the easel overnight, usually I will lay it to the side where I can see it as I go about other things. This morning I went to get it to sit it on the kitchen ledge. I would look at it over the breakfast coffee.

My wife came into the room, just about to head out the door to work. As she left she commented, “I kind of like that.”

She seldom, if ever makes comments on my paintings, unless asked.  This leads me to think it just may be worthy of further opinions.

So what do you think, and remember , “honesty is always the best policy.”

This blog is linked to my other.  The Answer Is Never Far Away

6 comments:

  1. Well, I really like it! Im not usually an abstract kind of girl, but there are those that are really eye-catching and this is one of them :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree it's a lovely painting and I do like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this one too. It has some action in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked that painting, too, and I rarely like abstracts. But this has something truly evocative about it. Thanks for sharing it on our bog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ralph- I think you have a very strong composition here. The colors work especially well. It's a winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ralph this painting is very striking. I really like the colors and the way they interact with each other.

    ReplyDelete